HSK (Hanyu Shuiping Kaoshi) or the Chinese Proficiency Test is an international standardized exam which tests and rates Chinese language proficiency. It assesses non-native Chinese speakers’ abilities in using the Chinese language in their daily, academic and professional lives. HSK test was launched by Hanban in an effort to better serve Chinese language learners.
The new HSK test consists of a writing test and a speaking test, which are independent of each other. There are six levels of writing tests, namely the HSK (level I), HSK (level II), HSK (level III), HSK (level IV), HSK (level V), and HSK (level VI). There are three levels of speaking tests, namely the HSK Speaking Test (beginner level), HSK Speaking Test (intermediate level), and HSK Speaking Test (advanced level). During the speaking test, test takers’ speeches will be recorded.
HSK Test Levels
HSK (Level I)
Test takers can understand and use very simple Chinese phrases, meet basic needs for communication and possess the ability to further their Chinese language studies.
HSK (Level II)
Test takers have an excellent grasp of basic Chinese and can communicate in simple and routine tasks requiring a simple and direct exchange of information on familiar and routine matters.
HSK (Level III)
Test takers can communicate in Chinese at a basic level in their daily, academic and professional lives. They can manage most communication in Chinese when travelling in China.
HSK (Level IV)
Test takers can converse in Chinese on a wide range of topics and are able to communicate fluently with native Chinese speakers.
HSK (Level V)
Test takers can read Chinese newspapers and magazines, enjoy Chinese films and plays, and give a full-length speech in Chinese.
HSK (Level VI)
Test takers can easily comprehend written and spoken information in Chinese and can effectively express themselves in Chinese, both orally and on paper.
HSK Test Fees
Test fees might differ due to exchange rates of different countries. Test takers need to contact with the test centers they wish to take the test for test fees.
You can register for the HSK test online: www.chinesetest.cn
HSK test follows the principle of “test-teaching correlation”, bases the design of the test on the current trends in international Chinese language training, and is closely related to textbooks. The purpose of the test is to “promote training through testing” and “promote learning through testing”. HSK test emphasizes the objectivity and accuracy of the evaluation and stresses the learners’ actual Chinese language abilities. HSK test sets clear test objectives to allow the test takers to be able to improve their Chinese language abilities in a systematic and efficient way.
HSK test serves as a general (or universal) Chinese language abilities test for adult learners. The results of the test can serve several purposes:
(1) A reference for an educational institution’s decision-making concerning recruiting students, assigning students to different classes, allowing students to skip certain courses and giving student academic credits.
(2) A reference for employers’ decision-making concerning the recruitment, training and promotion of test takers.
(3) A method for Chinese language learners to assess and improve their proficiency in Chinese.
(4) A method for Chinese language training institutions to evaluate training results.
Test takers will receive the results for the new HSK test issued by Hanban within three weeks after the test.
Functions of HSK Certificate
(1) Offers a reference for educational institutions to recruit students, classify students, exempt students from some courses and grant credits;
(2) Offers a reference for employers to employ, train and promote employees;
(3) Offers a reference for Chinese language learners to understand and improve their ability to apply Chinese;
(4) Offers a reference for related Chinese teaching institutions or training organizations to evaluate teaching standards and the effectiveness of different training.
HSK Test is held by Hanban, the Confucius Institute Headquarters. Hanban is a public institution affiliated with the Chinese Ministry of Education. It is committed to providing Chinese language and cultural teaching resources and services worldwide, it goes all out in meeting the demands of foreign Chinese learners and contributing to the development of multiculturalism and the building of a harmonious world.
(Contribution Source: www.chinesetest.cn)